What does it mean to you to live the dream? While it would be wonderful to have financial freedom, that is not the number one component to living the dream for Gigi and me.
For both of us, living the dream is pursuing our passions…for me to write and for Gigi to paint. Once again this year, The Art Institute of San Antonio, displayed the original works of local high school art teachers. Gigi was honored to show her picture of a fabulous woman attending a wedding. Her painting is just one that makes you smile…she is a lady we all know…a grandmother, an aunt, a neighbor. Returning to her own studio has lit a light inside of Gigi that nothing else can.
One of my favorite publications, Investors Business Daily, recently published these 10 Steps to Success:
Investor’s Business Daily has spent years analyzing leaders and successful people in all walks of life. Most have 10 traits, that when combined, can turn dreams into reality.
- How You Think is Everything. Always be positive. Think success, not failure. Beware of a negative environment.
- Decide Upon Your True Dreams and Goals. Write down your specific goals and develop a plan to reach them.
- Take Action. Goals are nothing without action. Don’t be afraid to get started. Just do it.
- Never Stop learning. Go back to school or read books. Get training and acquire skills.
- Be Persistent and work hard. Success is a marathon, not a sprint. Never give up.
- Learn how to analyze details. Get all the facts, all the input. Learn from your mistakes.
- Focus on your time and money. Don’t let other people or things distract you.
- Don’t be afraid to innovate, be different. Following the herd is a sure fire way to mediocrity.
- Deal and Communicate with people effectively. No person is an island. Learn to understand and motivate others.
- Be Honest and Dependable. Take Responsibility. Otherwise, Nos. 1-9 don’t matter.