The beginning of the year is reflection time for many of us. Of course, it is usually when throngs sign up for diets, health clubs, and hair stylists. If you are in this place where you are ready to make changes in your style, then I MATTER today is for you.
When I was really ready for a serious reinvention, I had just turned 50. My “uniform style” consisted of bad mommy-wear… hand me down denim shorts, flips flops, and men’s polo shirts for the Big and Tall… garments I hid behind. It took my daughter, my closest friends, and Stacy & Clinton on WhatNot to Wear to show me it was time to enter the real world again….with confidence!
I can remember standing in my closet and thinking…how do I do this? If you are in the same place, here are my recommendations for how to begin.
1. DO NOT BE DISCOURAGED BY WHERE YOU ARE. Anyone can make a change. Sometimes it does require courage. Answer this question: What do I want to communicate with my clothing? Pick five adjectives you would like to consistently communicate. When you try clothes on, make sure the garments meet all five. If not, walk away from it. Only buy basic pieces which meet all five.
2. DO NOT BE DISCOURAGED BY YOUR BUDGET. If money is an issue, learn to shop consignment and thrift shops like a pro. Please do not avoid them. Also, learn which stores carry clothing which fits you best and when those stores have sales and clearance… participate!
3. DO NOT BE DISCOURAGED BY YOUR SIZE. This was hard for me in the beginning, but I quickly learned by wearing clothes which fit me well, I look my best. When I started, I was almost 35 pounds heavier than I am now, but with beautiful suit jackets, with great seaming, I immediately looked as though I lost ten! With dark denim instead of the light blue I was wearing, I looked smaller. It really built my confidence to learn these little tricks and helped me to accept my body where it was at the time.
4. DO NOT BE DISCOURAGED BY COMPARISONS. This is your journey. No one else. Use fashion blogs, magazines, mannequins, Pinterest to inspire you and for mimicking looks which meet your guidelines, but do not compare yourself to the models or the women. You are a unique beauty made to be just one of kind like snowflakes which softly float from the sky this time of year. Accept your individuality and do not stop working on the best you can be inside and out.
Be encouraged! Life is short and we should reflect joy and confidence in our clothing. It helps us to leave the house with a smile. If you have questions, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org, or leave it in the comments below.
The little hands on my I MATTER sign below are my grandson’s. This picture is to remind me that when I feel good about myself, I can do more for him and my family. Begin small…but do begin if you believe you are communicating depression and giving up with your clothing selections. It does matter because IMATTER.
Now, for more encouragement please visit the bloggers of Katie’s Favorite Things Blog Hop or hop on yourself.
Have a happy Thursday, everyone!
The Thursday Favorite Things Blog hop is where you can link your favorite post of the week, or write a post about your favorite things and share it with old and new followers. This hop is hosted and posted on 4 different blogs! Please follow all of your hostesses. Your link will appear on the blogs of Katherines Corner, Over 50 Feeling 40, Model Savings and Vintage Mama. Four times the opportunity to make new bloggy friends, to share your wonderful blog and discover others too.
• Please DO NOT link and run…….please visit a few of the wonderful blogs that are sharing here today.
• Please link to your post and not to your blog home page.
• Please remember to post no more than 3 links to your blog.
• Remember to Follow Your hostesses– Katherines Corner, Over 50 Feeling 40 , Model Savings andVintage Mama
• Please leave comments when you visit, let them know you are visiting from the Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop ♥
• No adult content blogs.
• No links directly to your shops or websites selling things/services please! (sorry they will be removed)
♥ Optional- Linkback on your post and/or Grab the hop button code from the button page at Katherines Corner.Yes you can link giveaways (they are everyone’s favorite thing). Please add your giveaways to Katherines Giveaways Page too! Adding your link to this blog hop gives Katherines Corner permission to share your posts and pictures via social media, pinterest and as Make It Monday feature on Katherines Corner.♥