The final 2020 Style Goal for the coming year is to dress to be youthful (Young at Heart) and not to look young. Most often when we dress to look like the younger ladies, it backfires and we often look older. Dressing to look youthful is different. It is a style exuberance and youthful flair that helps us to feel younger, confident, joyful and fashion forward.
I chose today’s outfit to demonstrate youthfulness for one reason….a 24-year-old co-worker complemented this outfit when I wore it to work. She said, “That look is super cool and youthful. I love it on you!” (I figured she had a good handle on what is youthful) Though I am striving to leave the oversized, flowy toppers behind, this one is designed with a more flattering fit and has a bit of an edge to it. I went with a black column underneath and a trendy necklace I have owned for years that is a metallic gray and clear large beads.
The Cole Haan leather slip ons have the current sneaker design trend about them and I wear these shoes often. Working on a college campus does help to keep one youthful, but honestly I would not dress as most of the college students dress today. Extremely casual. I did not even dress that casual when I was in college.
I suppose my older hands give me away, but this bracelet is very youthful and I love to bring it out when I am going for this type of style. What makes this a bit more interesting is the subtle, snake print pants I originally bought at Soft Surroundings. Again, it is a youthful, stylish touch. I leave these because of the subtlety and wear them often.
So, what are ways to avoid looking older when we dress. Here are a few tips:
- Know what is in style. I know few of us want to be “trendy” but an understanding of what is in style and how we can adapt it is key to being youthful. Take the shoes as an example. Sneakers and sneaker-designs are worn now with just about anything…use it to your advantage.
- Wear clothes that fit your body type well. Youthful style means you have confidence in your body type…not matter what it is. No hiding! Make sure you are wearing a great bra that lifts those girls high. Not only will you be more youthful, but it will look like you lost 10 pounds!
- Know what ages you. You rarely see me in florals or polka dots, because when I look in the mirror, in those prints, I feel older. They are not aging prints, it is just how I feel. So, I do not wear them unless it is a design that is cutting edge and flattering. When I look in my mirror, I do not want to see my mother or grandmother…but a fun, confident me.
- Accent your positives and have fun with your negatives. It is a fact that I have “funky feet” and can no longer wear heels. This is one of the reasons you do not see me in dresses and skirts (very often, well lately, never). But, I select fun, trendy shoes to put on my feet so that I am still enjoying youthful flair. One of my positives, are strong, healthy nails, so I get my nails done often with youthful colors. I am asked constantly if my nails are real…love it, yes they are.
- When I write this point…some of you will think, I told you so!, but yes, a great haircut can add volumes to your youthful look. It took me a long time to let go of my long, thick hair…but this hair cut has been amazing and I wish I had done it sooner than later. it does help me to be young at heart. Also, go for a trendy and stylish look with your eyeglasses too!
- Be courageous, step out of your comfort zone occasionally, and be open minded. I know many over 50, over 60 women who did not shop at Anthropologie for years thinking it was a young girls store, but are glad now that they shop there! I am so glad I stepped out of my comfort zone with the faux leather and leopard print pants…I love them and feel great wearing them.
- The mirror is your best friend…believe it or not…always. Take time to ask…is this a youthful, stylish look or am I trying to look 25? If the answer is the latter, then start over.
- Use your five style adjectives to keep things in check. If your adjectives include chic, classy, tailored….then do not go out in distressed jeans with holes in them. Toss them now. Be true over and over again to the style messages you want to send and then you will build and develop your own personal style.
Remember vintage clothing is fun and cool, but it should be made well, fit well, and be a quality piece. Ask the right questions when trying it on. You want it to be vintage/cool and not old and dowdy.
Try to find some ways in 2020 to add a youthful touch to your wardrobe, because it builds confidence and helps to put a smile on your face. This is especially important for those still in the workplace.
Any questions? Please bring them on. I think this topic goes perfect with Kathy’s adjectives. She wants to communicate that she is active, savvy, simple, relaxed and joyful. So, today’s slideshow is in honor of Kathy and others like her. Thanks for being here, ladies.
Tomorrow, I will have 2020 Style Goals for Beauty. Our 2020 Style Goals for fashion have included communicating a purposeful style message; tossing everything that is off message; wearing new colors and the colors of the year; stepping out with accessories; and dressing with youthful flair. (above) Simple…attainable..right?
By Pamela Lutrell