Happy Friday, everyone, and welcome to The Weekly Journal, where I have been discussing all that happened or changed or is changing in my life since mid-March and today, I have style tips for fashion over 50 women, an update on my kitchen re-do and more. I want to reach out to one specific reader with the intention of encouraging more of you since I believe she represents a large group. So, let’s get going…
FASHION ENCOURAGEMENT FOR A READER
Meet Sheryl! She is 63, obviously a grandmother, retired, active at the gym and with friends and family, and frustrated with shopping! After we exchanged emails, she told me that she is between a size 14 and 16…and wishes there was a 15. Her major frustration is fit and seeing too many boxy styles online which would make her look larger. She wants a wardrobe of separates that all pair together nicely. She is drawn to flowy styles, but they often do not work and she is drawn to the classics. She shops most often at JJILL, Chicos, JC Penneys, Talbots and Coldwater Creek.
As a stylish retired woman, Sheryl wants to be seen as caring about her appearance and not as old. She wants others to think she follows age-appropriate trends. Of course, I asked her to think about 5 Style Adjectives she would like to communicate with her clothing and she selected CONFIDENT, COMFORTABLE, YOUTHFUL, APPROACHABLE, and STYLISH. The slideshow at the end of today’s post is dedicated to women like Sheryl who want to send those five messages.
- My immediate advice is to make friends with your tape measure! As we go forward and see more and more shopping going online, we need to have handy our current measurements. Every brand fluctuates with sizing, so always check their sizing against your measurement list. Sheryl has a great figure and should be wearing clothing that fits and does not make her look larger than she is.
- I have said this often, but make sure you read the comments on garments you are drawn to. So often you will learn if the sizing is off…too small or too large…or just right. Women are very good to tell us if we need to go down one of the oversized garments. Of course, pay attention to return policies.
- Inventory your wardrobe and have a list of what you own, and where you would like to fill in the gaps. Then make sure you do not purchase something unless you love it! One more list, what do you feel most confident wearing and what makes that garment or outfit make you feel so good. This is a good time to toss what you don’t want in the inventory.
- Does your wardrobe reflect your personalty? Know who you are.
- For those of us curvy ladies, learn how to elongate your look. For example. V-necklines such as Sheryl is wearing; column dressing in your favorite neutral; long necklaces; and try not to wear outfits that cut you into blocks…one of the reasons to avoid shoes with ankle straps and to avoid styles like high/low hems which will make us appear larger from the back.
- Staying current does take away the “old” image, but also be careful not to look too young…that can backfire too. There are always age appropriate ways to be in-style. I like that Sheryl loves classics…you just cannot go wrong with classic, chic styles.
FAST FASHION CAN HELP
I am not a huge advocate of inexpensive, fast fashion…but there is a time and place. I recently found this Simple Shirtdress on H & M for $18! It was worth it to me to give it a try and I really like the garment alot. It is flowy and cool. Summer is a time when our clothing takes a beating from heat and sweat, so I tend to spend less on my summer style. I want something easy to wear and wash. Today I am showing you how I have worn it as a long tunic (I received a compliment on that look on a video meeting!) and as a topper with a column of brown underneath. The long necklace, open neckline, and column of color elongate the look. I also love extra details and these leggings I purchased at Soft Surroundings about four years ago, have a fun little detail! I know from Would You Wear It days that this is not a summer look for many of you, but we each of us should understand our colors and wear the colors we know work for us and that make us smile with confidence.
So many of you helped out when I was planning the do-over for my kitchen and someone did ask how it is going. Well, it progressing…I am sure you know it takes time. I have decided on countertop and cabinet and paint color…which you can see below.
For those who suggested, I paint the red walls with something lighter. They will be antique white! You guys rock with great advice.
For those of you who have ordered GOLI through my link, you can always re-order with the same link. These Apple Cider Vinegar gummies have really helped my digestive system immensely. I am so grateful that I found them….a much better way to take it than try to stomach it right out of a bottle …or even burn your esophagus! Yes, I do make a small commission and it is part of the assistance to keep this blog going. You can find the link below by the picture.
Our favorite meal this week from Sun Basket was Burmese salmon salad with lemongrass and bell pepper. They had me cook the salmon with coriander seeds and beet powder. So good! We are about to enter our fourth week of meal delivery from Sun Basket and we still like it! I like cooking dishes I have never done before. The link is below if you want to check out a great, healthy eating meal delivery service.
Now, here is the Fabulous Finds slideshows for women who want to be Confident, Comfortable, Youthful, Approachable, and Stylish…like Sheryl! Sheryl mentioned wanting to camouflage the middle section, so I looked for styles which also would float out over that area so many of us do not wish to see! Remember, tomorrow is Would You Wear It!
JUST A NOTE:
There are several ways that I generate income through this blog in order to cover business expenses and give myself much needed income. Purchases through the slideshow links is one way, ads on the page is one way and a new way is through ordering or re-ordering the GOLI Apple Cider Vinegar gummies through me with my GOLI LINK HERE. Again, if you are not familiar with the benefits of apple cider vinegar, you should speak with your personal physician. My husband and I are sold on the benefits and I am proud to represent this product. I am going to leave this at the bottom of my posts so that when you, friends or family would like to order you can use my link. Thanks for the support. This is a great product; as well as, the ones below!
Mr. B and I love our meals from Sun Basket!
My Complexion Loves Chamonix:
By Pamela Lutrell