It’s Friday and the day we continue learning about elegance from women who wear it well. These are women who agree elegance can be learned and they are living great examples for us to follow.
Today, I am introducing you to Deborah Boland of Fabulous After 40.
Deborah is another blogger I met years ago who has done an amazing job of demonstrating how to be a gracious, elegant woman. I sent her a list of questions so you can get to know the blogger behind the blog.
- Tell us about you “I’m Canadian. I live in Burlington, Ontario in a house on the lake with my husband, and my family. I have two sons in a university, a daughter in high school and a cute maltipoo puppy named Bella who likes to join me on photoshoots. Prior to starting my blog I was an award winning TV producer and host for over 25 years. I’ve worked as news anchor, talk show host, entertainment reporter, fashion expert and even had my own show on HGTV called “Backyard Pleasures.” I enjoy family trips, a great cup of tea, following the Royal family and binging on Netflix.”
- How did your blog come about and how did you select the name? “In 2006, I had three young children and wanted to move from TV into something where I could spend more time with them. A life coach suggested I try this new thing called blogging. (Lol!)
I’ve always loved fashion and was certified as an Image expert for TV, so I decided to blog about how to be Fabulous After 40, since I found looking stylish at midlife very challenging.
The blog grew very quickly, but there was no way to monetize it besides doing offline fashion coaching. I kept blogging, my readership steadily increased and finally sponsorship, advertising and affiliate marketing opportunities sprang up. I’m so glad I never gave up!”
3. What challenges have you currently faced as a blogger, and how you evolving your blog? “I think the biggest challenge as a blogger is just keeping up with all the new platforms. This business is constantly changing which makes it exciting, but it can also be exhausting. There’s always more places to post from the blog to Pinterest, Facebook and Twitter, to You Tube, Instagram, IG Reels-Stories-TV, Tik Tok, you name it. Ultimately, you have to focus on what you enjoy most, and for me that’s video. On-camera is where I feel most myself, so even though I’m still blogging, I’m moving towards more video.”
4. Tell us briefly about your personal style. Color is one of my favorite fashion topics because I believe it makes a huge difference in your personal style. A lot of women had their colors done in the 80’s, and then it all went by the wayside. I’m so glad color analysis is back because the right colors for your skin tone, hair color and eyes can do wonders! I’m a Spring and look great in clear, warm, bright colors. Anything else drags me down, makes me look dull, tired and old. I’ve instinctively known my wow colors since I was very young and always stuck to them. My advice to women who are unsure is, get analyzed and start looking Fabulous After 40! ( I offer personal online color analysis if you are interested!
5. How do you define elegance? “Elegance to me is a state of mind. It’s a calm, inner confidence of knowing who you are and sticking to it. Coco Chanel said “Elegance is restraint”, and I totally agree. It’s simplicity, less is more, an understated way of dressing/being, quiet power. When it comes to fashion you’re not reaching for every shiny new object or seasonal trend. Elegance is also having integrity and being modest, gracious and kind.”
6. Do you believe elegance can be taught? “I think elegance is a natural gift, however if you are not born that way you can learn to become more elegant. Elegance is about learning to appreciate beauty that comes with simplicity. It also about getting in touch with your very deepest self, the part of you that clear in thought, pure, knowing and uncluttered.”
7. What advice do you have for older women who desire to be more elegant later in life? “My advice to become more elegant later in life is to slow down, declutter your life (and wardrobe), look for the beauty in simple things, treat yourself to quality people, experiences, things and become more self-aware of the person you are and wish to become.”
8. What is your biggest dream? “My biggest dream at the moment is connection – that we can all come out of this stressful time in the world more aware and appreciative of the importance of human connection, and that we use our time left on earth to deeply connect to those who really matter to us. Love is all there really is.”
By now, you should be able to see why I would select Deborah to represent everyday elegance! I hope you have enjoyed meeting her and her blog, Fabulous After 40.
If you are shopping, please consider going to the sites using the links below (great deals early in the season)….and always….
KEEP SMILING AND BE YOUR ELEGANT BEST!!
SAVINGS AND DEALS…SHOP HERE:
JUST A NOTE:
There are several ways that I generate income through this blog in order to cover business expenses and give myself much needed income. Purchases through the slideshow links is one way, ads on the page is one way and a new way is through ordering or re-ordering Juice Plus+ whole food capsules. Please read my story and information HERE.
ADD SOME APPLE CIDER!
Another way is through ordering or re-ordering the GOLI Apple Cider Vinegar gummies through me with my GOLI LINK HERE. Again, if you are not familiar with the benefits of apple cider vinegar, you should speak with your personal physician. My husband and I are sold on the benefits and I am proud to represent this product. I am going to leave this at the bottom of my posts so that when you, friends or family would like to order you can use my link. Thanks for the support. This is a great product; as well as, the ones below!
MY COMPLEXION LOVES CHAMONIX…KEEPING ME YOUTHFUL!
By Pamela Lutrell