A Perfect Friend Friday Day!!
It’s a great day for Friend Friday!! The predicted snow fall in San Antonio turned into an ice storm overnight…so schools are closed, freeways are closed, and the city is pretty much shut down until afternoon! Therefore, it is a perfect day for blogging and reading.
So, here goes with the questions from ModlyChic http://www.modlychic.com/ (where you can find more great answers from a plethora of style bloggers:
1. With all the blogging events out there how do you determine which ones to participate in and which ones to avoid? When I began this, it was with a very specific, target audience in mind…women 5o+. I try to select blogging events where I can remain true to the content of the blog and make sure I am presenting something of benefit to the audience. But, also, I have desired to get the know the blogging community better for two reasons: 1. Fellowship 2. Education. I have learned so much from other bloggers, of all ages, and been inspired on so many levels from the creative, bright women who are doing this. Finally, time is a big factor…. If the event is going to require too much time I might avoid it. Blogging already is time intensive and I really try to be careful about overloading on events. I do not want an event to cause so much stress that I lose the joy of this.
2. Be honest, have you ever jumped on the bandwagon of some blogging movement/event for the wrong reasons? How did that turn out? Hmmm, I do not think so. I have been tempted, but really tried to be true to the purpose of my blog. I immediately wanted to do the remix, but after careful thought decided it was best for me to wait for now. I am glad I did just for my own peace of mind and enjoyment. I do not want to put so much on me for now that I cease to enjoy blogging. I love it at this moment, but if I take on too much….that love will freeze just like the weather!
3. How do you give your own flair to a blog event while still maintaining the general mission and purpose? It’s easy for me….my focus is the stylish, more mature woman. My mission is to encourage women to not shut down on life during middle age but to strive to be strong, confident and dignified. I learned a long time ago that if you compete with 25 year olds or sometimes even 30 year olds….they always win!! If you follow my blog, you know that I love accessories, so anything I do will include them. I also want to have fun and sometimes be creative in a humorous way….not fake….just me.
4. When determining the best content for your blog what criterion do you keep in mind?
a. Does it fit my mission for over50feeling40?
b. Does it create fellowship with other bloggers?
c. Does it fit in with what I have set for a weekly schedule? There are many blogs which put questions out for bloggers to answer similar to Friend Friday. This one is the only one I do so far because it fits in with my weekly plan for the blog and the majority of the blogs I follow also participate. I have other plans for Monday and Wednesday, so those question events do not fit in with my plans.
d. Is it creative, fun, enjoyable….would those who come to my site enjoy it?
I try to look at my blog as an online magazine for women in the over 40 or 50 age groups. That is why I have tried to create sidebars of interest like the stylish, well known women over 50; suggestions of how to step out of your comfort zone with fashion; introductions to other bloggers etc. The reason I am now hosting contests is because I love shopping for them!! I really do not want to give away gift cards, because that is not unique. But, if I can shop for some stylish, affordable giveaways, then I will have fun and hopefully so will those who visit the site. I also want readers to learn from the posts, so I try to do a few where I research and conduct interviews so that it is a little more educational than just posting a “look.”
5. While everything will not suit your blog, how do you try and support your fellow bloggers who are participating in something worthwhile but not your style? I love looking at what others are doing and I learn so much from them. I try to support them with encouragement and to let them know that I am benefitting from their hard work and creativity. There are some amazingly gifted women in the blogosphere who have a variety of unique talents and angles. I would never stay away because they are doing an event that I may not be participating in. I agree with Modly Chic…it is that sense of community which makes the blogs so unique and the support is a vital lifeline…I hope to be one who keeps that going. I watch teenagers in my classes grow and thrive on encouragement daily…it is important for any age!
"My mission is to encourage women to not shut down on life during middle age but to strive to be strong, confident and dignified."
I love this statement. This is why I have you on my blogroll.
the Citizen Rosebud
Wonderful post!! This was really great to read for a brand new blogger such as myself 🙂 Thank you and happy Friday!
You're definitely a big supporter of other blogs! I'm thankful for your frequent comments on mine!
really, Pam, you may it all sound so simple and straightforward! i'm thinking it's because you have very concrete goals, audience, and mission. a good example for all of us!
i second Bella's comment as well- 'strong, confident and dignified' is an excellent model to strive for at any time of life.
one teeny quibble, though: "I learned a long time ago that if you compete with 25 year olds or sometimes even 30 year olds….they always win!!" hee hee hee – not always! us old broads can be pretty wily when we get our dander up 😉 take care and have a great weekend Pam!! steph
hope you are staying safe and warm
i have a friend that lives in Boern, she said people are out sledding everywhere.
enjoyed reading your answers this week
I can't believe it's snowing in San Antonio!!! ~Serene
I honed in on the same phrase that TinyJunco did. I have been trying to learn Twitter and it is painfully obvious that the youngsters have a better grasp on it than I do!
Will you have to deal with rolling brown-outs? Stay warm.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts, I enjoyed reading it. I hope the weather improves for you by the weekend, have a great one.
I love your blog and what you are doing for the not so 20 age group:)
Great answer to the last questions as well sweets:)
Stop by and say Hello:)
Check out my 30×30 Remix….Let’s do this!♥
Love this! Well written and a joy to read! xo
What a great post. You have such a unique perspective on your blog and I love that you show women everywhere that you can be fashionable and fabulous at any age!
Great answers! It is so important to stay true to the content of your blog and yourself.