I have sat in my EDITOR chair exactly 24 days and to say life is hectic is an understatement, but career reinvention after 60 is interesting. I heard a young lady say the other day to a younger co-worker she was not looking forward to being over fifty because she would be so bored at that stage of life…well, let me tell you, it is no where near boring! Down-time has been precious and small.
In twenty four days, I have learned these things:
1. I miss blogging every day of the week…I do miss you (my readers) and it is a challenge to keep both going, but I am determined to do so. I did not realize how much I really enjoyed being here every day!
2. Returning to the professional world with some maturity has made such a difference. While the workplace drama is the same, I react so differently now…calm, quieter, reserved and thoughtful. I do not over-react as I did in my 20s & 30s to other people…and I recognize what other employees might be up to, faster.
3. Yes, there is some age discrimination, but I think by working hard, and being on my game, I have showed them I am really more capable of good work than some younger employees. It has been better to address this with action rather than words. I have been at my desk for about an hour before the others arrive to work each morning.
4. Interesting enough, there is some “blogger” discrimination. I do not know why some people talk about our time with our blogs as if it is not work. It doesn’t feel like work, because I enjoy it so much…but, nevertheless, it is WORK. I have been in the world of communications for over 40 years, but one employee will describe me as “just a fashion blogger” while looking down her nose. I am proud of all my experience…including blogging!
5. A daily workout has been imperative to keep me mentally on my game and feeling good. M-F, I am at the gym at 5AM.
Currently, I am working harder than I have in a long, long time. There are so many small details to learn and oversee. But, it is possible to do this…so have hope, those of you who desire to return or remain in the career world for awhile. It can be done…with a little panache and STYLE!
See you later with Jennifer and Hit Your Style Sweet Spot! Have a wonderful weekend…..