These magnificent dresses are a part of Fiesta heritage. Every year the Fiesta court appears in hand made gowns which will find their places in San Antonio museums and city history. These ball gowns, known for their trains, start at $40,000 and go up from there. During today’s Battle of Flowers parade the queens and princesses of the court will be met with cries of SHOW US YOUR SHOES!! Most of them will wear fancy Cowgirl boots beneath the layers of sequins and bling!
Even the dress designer, known as the Mistress of the Robes, is an honored position. Currently, Jan Hill serves as the designer for this year’s Court of Timeless Treasures. She told Express News reporter Jessica Elizarraras, “The duchesses will all be representing treasures that are found in museums around the world.”
When asked if there is a treasure Hill is particularly fond of, she said, “Well, they’re all wonderful, but the best part is watching the dressmaker take our design and concept and bring it to life. One for example, that’s kind of amazed me, because I thought it would be so difficult to grasp was (the work of glass artist Dale) Chihuly. The dressmakers are so talented.”
|And Now From the Royal Court of Friend Friday:
Anwers for the subjects!!
Katy over at Modly Chic is celebrating her own Fiesta with one year of her Friend Friday questions bringing the style blogs closer together!!
Today, all five questions center around gratitude!! Love it!! Here we go:
1. When it comes to me personally, I owe ALL of who I am to ….
2. When it comes to me professionally, I owe alot of who I am to…My eighth grade teacher, Mr. Wilson. He taught me what the word journalism meant and encouraged me to follow that path because of my writing. I decided in MS to major in journalism and never once changed my mind!!
3. When it comes to blogging, I owe a lot to….those who have helped me in moments I was stumped by technology!! Serene at The Elegant Bohemian; Reva at Revas Rags 2 Roses; Terri at Rags Against The Machine; and, of course, all of the bloggers who hosted the Texas Style Conference last month!!!
4. The one blogging challenge which has really stretched me is…I would have to say this one, FBFF!! Katy got me into the habit of planning an editorial calendar; taught me to open up about myself on the blogs; and helped me to see the value of blogging events such as this one!! THANKS TO YOU, KATY!!
5. To my readers, I say…..a huge, heartfelt THANK YOU! There have been so many times since I started in July that I wanted to shut the whole thing down and that very day, one of you will say something that encourages me to hang in there!!! I am humbled by the fact that so many read and return! You have blessed me immensely by opening up your front door every day and inviting me in for a visit!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
Now, hop on over to Modly Chic and visit with the other bloggers who participate!!!
BREAKING NEWS: I AM ON THE HUFFINGTON POST!!!