“You are never really prepared for it. It is overwhelming, scary, and suddenly you know life will never be the same.”
“The week I found out, I began to eat junk food like crazy. During one moment with Pita Bread, I just broke down and began to cry. My husband looked at me and said, ‘This isn’t about the pita bread is it?'”
This is how my conversation with two vibrant, young women began…both are teachers; both are creative; both are joyful; both are in their twenties; and both are daughters of breast cancer victims. They are now closer together through this common bond.
From observing their mothers, both young ladies have learned one important lesson, “YOU MUST BE YOUR OWN ADVOCATE.” Ask a lot of questions; get second opinions; if no one returns a call, be persistent and continue to call; get informed; don’t shut down or become depressed; persevere and go forward; don’t make assumptions…always have hope.
Sara said, “Our family has drawn closer together and become a necessary support system. Sometimes all my mom needs is my presence. She does not always need me to do something. Just be there.”
We sat talking in the art room where Sara teaches, and I could not help but look at a mobile dancing overhead. The mobile, made by a student, featured colorful ladies prancing with umbrellas around a very dark, solid black form. That represented the cancer to me. But, the colorful ones continued to dance around it with hope and joy. Sara and Allison are on DIFFERENT PATHS, YET ONE JOURNEY.
- Please visit a few of the wonderful blogs that are sharing here.
- Please leave comments when you visit
- Please Link to your post and not to your blog home page
- Linkback on your post (optional, but always appreciated)
- Grab the hop button code from The button page (optional)
- No adult content blogs
- Please no more than 3 links to your blog
- No links directly to your shops or websites selling things/services please! (sorry they will be removed)
- Yes you can link giveaways (they are everyone’s favorite thing) Add your giveaways to Katherines Giveaways Page too!