Some may remember, I recently had three small skin cancer surgeries and fortunately nothing was serious. Out of this experience came a passion to tell all of you to get full body exams soon, if you have not already! So important not to wait.
May is NATIONAL SKIN CANCER AWARENESS MONTH, which makes it timely for CONSUMER REPORTS to release new information about sunscreens. They tested 34 lotions and sprays to see if they lived up to their claims! (I saw it reported on our local television station, KSAT)
Their recommendations include:
The only one that earned a full 100% score is La Roche-Posay Anthelios 60 Melt-in Sunscreen Milk, SPF 60. At $7.20 an ounce, it’s also the priciest.
Here are the other 14 on the recommended list.
Vichy Capital Soleil 50 Lightweight Foaming Lotion, SPF 50, at $5.94 an ounce
Coppertone Water Babies SPF 50, at $1.31 an ounce
Equate Ultra Protection, SPF 50, at $.56 an ounce
No-Ad Sport SPF 50, at $.63 an ounce
Ocean Potion Protect & Nourish, SPF 30, at $1 an ounce
Aveeno Protect+Hydrate, SPF 30, at $3.33 an ounce
Up & Up Ultra Sheer, SPF 30, at $1.63 an ounce
Banana Boat SunComfort Continuous Spray, SPF 50+, at $1.83 an ounce
L’Oreal Quick Dry Sheer Finish (spray) 50+, at $2.44 an ounce
Coppertone Sport High Performance AccuSpray, SPF 30, at $1.58 an ounce
Equate Sport Continuous Spray, SPF 30, at $1.33 an ounce
Coppertone UltraGuard, SPF 70+, at $1.38 an ounce
Neutrogena Beach Defense Water + Sun Protection, SPF 70, at $1.62 an ounce
Caribbean Breeze Continuous Tropical Mist (spray), SPF 70, at $2.75 an ounce
Also, I have been introduced to a new line of clothing, COOLIBAR, a first line of defense against skin cancer. This month they are partnering with the American Cancer Society (ACS) to launch a #SkinSmart campaign, and to provide tips and information to prevent skin cancer. Throughout the month of May, Coolibar will also donate $1 to the ACS for every order placed at Coolibar.com, up to $25,000.
I really like my new COOLIBAR POOLSIDE HOODIE cover sent for me to review and if you would like to order something, you can receive a 15% discount with this code.
Their tips include:
Here are some tips from Coolibar and ACS to be #SkinSmart:
· Teach kids that being safe in the sun is as important as wearing a bike helmet! Limiting sun exposure now helps prevent skin cancer in the future.
· Make sure to wear lightweight clothing that is tightly woven (t-shirts do NOT block UV rays!), and contains a UV protection factor of 50.
· Keep sunscreen and a hat in your gym bag, stroller or diaper bag so it¹s always accessible when needed.
· Apply sunscreen 15-30 minutes BEFORE going out in the sun, and remember to reapply to exposed areas every two hours, and more often after swimming or sweating.
· Take regular breaks from the sun especially between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., when UV rays are strongest, and make sure to drink lots of water. Set your phone¹s alarm for reminders.
· Wearing a wide-brim hat provides extra coverage to the neck and shoulders. Every inch of hat brim can lower your lifetime risk of skin cancer by 10%.
· Wear a swim shirt specifically designed for water activities while at the pool or beach. These provide maximum sun protection, cover a large amount of exposed skin, and dry quickly so they are great for trips.
· Wear sunglasses. In addition to protecting eyes from UV exposure, another cancer risk, the right sunglasses offer impact protection, and reduce reflection if you are participating in any rigorous activities.
Please heed the warnings. I so wish I had been more prudent as a younger woman.
Have a sunny (healthy sunny) Weekend!
Disclaimer: I was provided a garment from Coolibar, but the words of this post are my own!