We live in a new world of retail where many of our favorite stores are beginning to close locations and struggling to find ways to survive. In the past, one of the best times to shop was during mid-to-late July. The clearance sales were always amazing.
However, now the sales are constant and you can actually pick up great deals almost constantly.
It is enough to make our heads spin…closets bulge…and budgets bust!
I love sales and love the challenge of finding a great piece at a super price.
However, I have learned to follow these steps in order to keep myself in check:
1. Evaluate your wardrobe. Know what you have and don’t have in the closet.
2. Make sure you have great basics. Once you know those are in your wardrobe then sale shopping is about finding creative, unique fun pieces which stamp your personal style.
3. I always make sure what I purchase sends the messages I want to send with my clothing. If it is outside of those messages, then it is a waste of money for me. I have five adjectives I am looking to communicate each time I leave my home….controlling those five messages has helped me to have a strong, confident style over 50.
4. I take my measurements often with a tape measure and make sure I know them when shopping. Sadly, sizes are NOT universal and the measurements are important.
5. I try on trends in a store so I know what works and doesn’t work on my body type. Then I don’t get lured by a trend online…they can be similar to fish bait and just reel us in if we are not careful. I love trends to update and keep my wardrobe current and youthful…but many only work for the young anyway!
6. Know your best colors and stay true to them. This summer and fall there are colors for everyone! I can make my love of military green work all year long…but there are many colors I need to avoid.
7. Read the small print when shopping big sales online. Is there a restocking fee? Is there a non-returnable clause? Are there special considerations if you pay with Paypal? Be careful…read.
Here is the fun part, there are great sales at top retailers right now. If you take the time to really shop, you can find amazing quality and creativity at an incredible price. This changing world of retail works to our advantage. Do not assume that some of these stores are out of your price range. You just might be surprised. Also, sign up for all of your favorite retailers’ emails. These often bring big announcements and opportunities first.
Also, remember the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale is just around the corner …when you can pick up NEW fall styles at a discount…so save some of your budget!
Now, with all of that behind us…let’s see who is having the big sales right now….