I am so grateful for all of the strong women in my life. I have several who I can go to for wise counsel and a listening ear., and who have given me the best tips during my reinvention. There was a time last year when I was struggling to make some decisions. With my new job so encompassing, I pondered if I should keep this blog going or not.
So, I asked one of these women to go to lunch and I poured out my heart and work history to her since the reinvention. She listened and asked questions and then looked at me and said, “You need to invest in yourself.” She believed all the work I have done since 2010 was going in a good direction and had the potential to go even further. She pointed out that in my conversation I mentioned all the things I needed to do for others, but little I did for myself. She noted how I brightened up and got so excited when I talked about the blog. She simply said…invest in yourself. So, I left that lunch, hired a web designer, purchased a new camera….and invested in the blog. I have not regretted that decision at all.
I ask you today…do you need to invest in yourself this year? There are many ways we can do that…
- Continuing Education – classes to increase our skills and knowledge
- Upgrading your technology – it may be important if you are working in fields which need technology
- Travel – perhaps investing in yourself is broadening your territories, by visiting new ones
- Upgrading your wardrobe – you may feel like it is time for a different look…or time to leave frumpy style behind!
- Join a gym – I first walked into a gym for myself at age 60! And I am so glad I did. I usually go five days a week.
- Join a club or cause where you can meet some new like-minded people
- Have a spa day! I did this in the fall…it was amazing!
- Or get a manicure (like I just did) with a beautiful shade of gray!
These are just a few ideas…there are many ways to invest in yourself. It is another way to say I MATTER.
What have you done lately to invest in yourself?
I was so cold during this photo shoot that all I could do was laugh. The wind chill factor was 19…which for us in South Texas is bone chilling…I know many of you have gone through worse this week.
I invested in myself two years ago with this Neiman Marcus Exclusive coat, which was on a deep summer clearance. I did not get to wear it last year, because the winter was really warm. Not so this year, so far the cool winds are blowing. After Christmas Sales are a great time to treat yourself on items you normally might not be able to justify purchasing…check out some of these garments….