Happy Tuesday! This past weekend we celebrated with family and here is the fall donut party: what to wear, what to do and what to eat!
Our youngest granddaughter turned one this past week, so her parents decided a fall donut party would be the perfect time to celebrate …and the were right.
It was a stunning October morning and all six of our grandchildren were there! It was so much fun…and all of the guests played for at least four hours!
A FALL DONUT PARTY: WHAT TO WEAR
A donut dress of course!! This granddaughter was so excited to show off her donut dress. (she didn’t even notice her cousin sneaking up from behind)
Alas, I did not have a donut dress and I was in charge of a three- year- old- boy all morning…so I needed to be casual.
My outfit included:
- A simple orange sweatshirt I found at Talbot’s in August. I could not locate it online at this moment, but they have great casual pullover options.
- My JJILL cargo pants have been in my wardrobe for over two years. I love the way these pants fit and wear…I may just need a new pair soon! They do not fit like traditional cargo pants.
- A simple, colorful scarf I found at Target….love the pop of different colors it provides.
- Finally, once again, my new sneakers from DSW. They are so much fun, comfortable and I kept up with the little one!
But, I really want a donut dress now!!
A FALL DONUT PARTY: WHAT TO EAT
Donuts, of course. From my cooking through the Better Homes & Garden Pumpkin cookbook, I made the best recipe yet!
These are so good. The only modification I have is “no nuts” for the children….but every one of the donuts I made were gone. This recipe is fantastic. I tripled it for the donut party.
Thanks for the fall donut party goodies goes to Better Homes & Gardens!
FALL DONUT PARTY STAR: BAKED BUTTERMILK-PUMPKIN DONUTS
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt (Yes, I remembered the salt!)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 egg yolk
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 tsp. vanilla
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. (FULL DISCLOSURE: I USED MY KITCHEN AID MIXER RATHER THAN WHISK) Lightly coat indentions of a donut pan or 12 2 1/2 inch muffin cups with cooking spray. In a medium bowl, stir together next five ingredients (through the salt). In a large bowl, whisk together next seven ingredients (through the vanilla) until smooth. Add flour mixture, and stir just until well combined.
- Spoon batter into a large resealable bag. Cut off a corner of the bag. Pipe batter into prepared into prepared pan, filling donut indentations nearly full and for muffin cups one-half full. Bake 15-16 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 3 minutes. Turn the donuts onto the rack and cool completely.
This was my first time to make donuts, so mine were not that pretty…but really good. After cooking the donuts then…….
MAPLE BROWN BUTTER GLAZE
In a small saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter over medium heat about 5 minutes or until lightly brown. (Again, I use a saucepan that is white on the inside, so I can watch the butter browning).
Remove from heat and whisk in 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, 2 Tbsp of milk; 2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup and 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice.
Return to heat and cook on low for 30 seconds or until bubbly. Remove from heat; whisk in 1 cup powdered sugar and 1/2 tsp. vanilla until smooth.
Cover the tops of the cooled donuts with icing…it is sooooo good.
A FALL DONUT PARTY: WHAT TO DO
Have fun, and play. They were smart to have the fall donut party at a wonderful playground at our church.
The kids played hard for hours…this picture includes five of my grandchildren.
There was also a little hay maze for the younger ones to enjoy…perfect for fall!
Everyone had a wonderful time on this perfect fall day…except I am looking for the donut dress…Ha!
So, let me ask you, do you wear sweatshirts? I had completely given them up, but now own two and enjoy them for casual wear since the cool breezes blew in. I have a hoodie on the way.
I am enjoying adding “play clothes” to my wardrobe in my colors! Here are some other options currently on the market…many reduced prices:
Also, You might like this sweatshirt sherpa lined cardigan from LLBean in several colors. It looks warm and cozy!
Finally, remember this is the week for the Talbot’s Friends & Family Event for 30% off everything.
Thanks for being here, ladies and joining me for the fall donut party…it is always a pleasure…now make sure you always….
By Pamela Lutrell