Happy Sunday, everyone! Today I am sharing what I wore last week and a delicious Valentine’s treat to make for loved ones!
The outfits I wore for my everyday life last week included pulling pieces from my wardrobe and stepping them up with accessories I purchased at January clearance prices.
I think we all know that accessories can stretch your wardrobe and make it seem like new every day.
In fact, a fellow teacher I worked with would look different every single day and it was done with creativity and accessories.
WHAT I WORE: RUNNING ERRANDS
This is a look I pulled together one day last week to head out and do some errand running.
What I wore from my closet: I reached for the JJILL cargo pants; a silky Chico’s camp shirt; and the JJILL linen cardigan that I dyed from light pink to warm ROSEWOOD RED when my colors changed from winter to vibrant autumn.
I kept the Chico’s blouse in the big purge last year because it is a beautiful creamy off-white and not white white which I am not wearing any longer.
Leigh Ann and I were recently in the Historic Pearl area of San Antonio, and stopped by a boutique called TEN THOUSAND VILLAGES, part of a network of 390 boutiques across the US.
Here is how they describe what they do: “As one of the world’s oldest and largest fair trade organizations, Ten Thousand Villages has spent more than 60 years cultivating trading relationships in which artisans receive a fair price for their work and consumers have access to distinctive handcrafted items. We seek to establish long-term buying relationships in places where skilled artisans are under- or unemployed, and in which they lack other opportunities for income. A founding member of the World Fair Trade Organization (WFTO), Ten Thousand Villages sees fair trade as an alternative approach to conventional international trade.”
A BIG sale was one when we stopped by and I found two lovely colorful scarves! I love this red and yellow and will wear it often…the other one will pop up as we get closer to spring.
I think my favorite shoes in my wardrobe have all come off of Dillard’s clearance racks and this new addition is going to be a favorite.
I love the current style of adding a sneaker look to this animal print. They surprised me with comfort, so I said…let’s do this…and the price was so low.
There are still some cute ones on clearance…just click on DILLARD’S and then go to the Sale and Clearance tab at the very top of the page.
WHAT I WORE: AT HOME WITH A FRIEND
When a friend asked to stop by for a visit, of course, I said to come on down!
I added an Eileen Fisher Silk Georgette Crepe Bateau Neck Sleeveless Shell in Ivy (a lovely dark green, though it looks black here) and it is on sale at Dillard’s.
I wore this look with my bronze ballet flats.
Recently, I picked up this Jaguar necklace and gold cuff at a Chico’s location with a clearance on jewelry. I have the best pieces from Chico’s that eventually went on sale for $9.99.
Chico’s does have a jewelry sale underway for a limited time…though they do not have that date online. But, as always, there are fun pieces to refresh your looks.
WHAT I WORE: DOCTOR’S VISIT
No worries about all of these doctor’s appointments…all allergy and asthma related, but I think I am doing great! I have had both of these issues most of my life.
I wore this outfit, but forgot to take a picture at home. When I tried it on at Talbot’s last fall, I loved all three pieces and took them home with me.
They have become workhorses in my new wardrobe…I am so glad I have this color of jeans. Remember, if you find pieces in your colors that you love, get them…they may not appear again, if at all.
VALENTINE’S TREAT…OR ANY DAY!
My friend Iris Gonzalez makes this Chocolate Salami and it is sooooo good.
Iris is a talented cook, and if you love chocolate, you will love this!
- 10 oz dark bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) salted butter
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds OR candied walnuts (available at Trader Joe’s)
- 1/4 cup candied pecans, chopped
- 1/4 chopped dried cherries OR dried blueberries
- ¼ cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/2 cup crushed amaretti or any kind of crispy cookies
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp brewed coffee
- 2 Tbsp confectioner’s sugar for rolling the salami
- Place the chocolate and butter in a double boiler (or a metal bowl nestled on top of a saucepan of hot water, making sure the bowl isn’t touching the hot water) and place on low heat until melted. Keep a close eye on the chocolate so it doesn’t burn. Once melted, remove from heat add coffee, mixing until smooth.
- Add crushed cookies (put between a clean folded tea towel and using a rolling pin or heavy object, mash them up gently until they are reduced to small bits and pieces), chopped nuts and dried fruits to chocolate mixture.
- Mix well and place the mixture in the fridge for about 30 to 60 minutes. Check it after 30 minutes it should be significantly hardened but still be malleable so you can shape it into a log. (If you leave it in the fridge too long, it will be too hard to shape).
- Place the chocolate mixture on a piece of plastic wrap (about 20 inches long) and using your hands, shape it roughly into a log that is approximately 2 1/2 inches thick in diameter, and about 12 inches long. Don’t worry if it’s a little messy looking. Alternately, you can divide the chocolate mixture into two parts to make two shorter salami logs (about 6 inches each). Now wrap the plastic tightly around the log, twisting the ends snuggly to squeeze the mixture in. Use twist ties to fasten the ends. Roll the log back and forth in the plastic wrap, to even it out and pack it together well. Place in the fridge for at least 6 hours, or overnight.
- When ready to serve, remove from the fridge and take off the plastic wrap. Roll the log in confectioner’s sugar and shake off any excess. After removing from the fridge, allow the log sit at room temperature for 15 minutes before slicing. Using a clean sharp serrated knife, carefully slice into 1/4 inch thick slices.
Yield: Makes 1 x 12-inch salami log or 2 x 6-inch logs (about 48 slices in total)
Well, that is what I wore last week for my every day life! Let me know if you have questions and hopefully I will see you tomorrow on Valentine’s Day!
KEEP SMILING, LADIES!!
By Pamela Lutrell
Use my SHOPPING LINKS tab to shop and also offer your support of this blog.
Also, remember, savings on the immunity building products from GOLI. Use savings code over50feeling40 and these links: