For goal #6 in our 2020 Style Goals series, I want to talk about all natural beauty for women over 50. What shows on our faces involves so much going on the inside too, so I will save good health tips for tomorrow and just discuss beauty tips today.
I would like to recommend that your first resolution for 2020 be to accept your beauty just as you are today….we are all beautiful. Once your understand that you are beautiful and here for a purpose, then you know how to go forward with decisions on how you want to look your best each day.
At age 66, I have made some difficult decisions. I wish I had unlimited income, but I don’t. So, I have to enhance naturally my aging process and not try to just pay others to fix the issues in order to merely delay the inevitable. Procedures meant to alter or delay can be extremely costly and not always have the results desired. For example, I have a ripped ear lobe. I could fix it for the second time so that I could perhaps wear pierced earrings longer, but after the first fix failed, I thought…I will just live without earrings and wear clip ons to occasional special events. I have a front tooth out of alignment. I could use braces since I never received them. But, due to costs I have elected to naturally work to keep my teeth as white and bright as possible and not spend the money to straighten them. I kind of cringe some days when I look at my smile, but I have decided that “smiling on” is more important than not. I have hammer toes and again have elected to not do the surgery…on the advice of my podiatrist…so heels are in the past. I have decided not to get any injections in my face but through consistent all-natural skincare practice, I am very pleased with how it is looking. BTW, I was offered free injections for blogging and turned it down. You have to decide what works or doesn’t work best for you and then stick by it. There are some things I would do if I could (might try freezing the fat cells), but for now I am working with what I have been handed! One thing I did on my birthday was to have several large moles removed from my neck and chest…so glad I did this. It was not expensive and looks way better. I can wear my V neck blouses with confidence again.
Aging happens…no matter what we do. So I believe our goal should be to look our natural, gorgeous self as we go through it. There are some things however, to avoid in order to look youthful as we discussed yesterday. If you have made the decision to spend money on injections or nips & tucks, then do not think I am judging you harshly. Again, if I had the additional income it might be different. We all have to decide what is best for us…what will keep us smiling and confident. I am learning to live with the challenges of aging and want to encourage others to do the same.
In order to look your youthful best make sure:
- You keep gray and white brow hairs plucked and gone.
- Do not wear heavy foundations or powders (for an all natural look, I have some Jane Iredale in the slide show below)
- Do not wear heavy lip liner much darker than your lipstick
- Do wear heavy bronzer to contour your face
- Be careful of excessive pink blush
- Keep your teeth cleaned and white as possible
- Fake nails that are unnaturally long can be aging…and hard to work with!
- Do not wear eye glass chains…unless you are going for a vintage, cat-eyed style
- As I said yesterday, consider a new hair cut in a modern style.
- The Big Number 10 is to wear Sunscreen Every Day…no matter what is on your schedule! If you have not visited a dermatologist lately, make that a priority early in 2020. You need to be checked for any possible skin cancer problems. It was the small ones I did not notice that were the issues…not the big ugly ones!
The best beauty tip I can give for 2020 is to have an all natural skincare routine and stick by it faithfully. I am always surprised when I speak with women, of how many do not cleanse their face twice a day and do not use moisturizer twice a day. When I began to cleanse my face twice daily and exfoliate often, my skin turned around and my husband has finally learned this. The best decision I made in the last year was to faithfully use Chamonix Genucel products, which are all natural and plant based. I saw results that day…seriously and I have only used this line since that day. They have amazing products.
I begin each day with the Deep Sea Cleanser. I use the Cristalles Microderm Exfoliant once or twice a week. Then the first product I put on is the Genucel Deep Firming Serum. I think it is my favorite! Under my eyes, I use the Genucel with Eyseryl Technology for dark circles and puffiness.
The moisturizer I use twice a day is the Genucel XV which is to combat wrinkles! I also use the Genucel Jawline Treatment...great product. I have never been this pleased with a product line to the point that I will not use another one. It works so well and I feel like I look younger than my age. Treats the wrinkles with an all-natural soft touch.
To summarize what I have said today,
- Pick what works best for you and stick with it.
- Do not be upset if you cannot afford special treatments…make it work! (To quote Tim Gunn) That is what I do with all of my crazy aging challenges.
- Start the year with confidence about who you are and practice all natural makeup tips to look your youthful best.
- Be consistent with your skincare…do it twice daily with an occasional special treatment. Neglect is aging.
- See a dermatologist this year…early if you have not been in awhile.
- YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL…NO MATTER YOUR AGE; SIZE: INCOME LEVEL: or anything else. Accept that first thing this year.
Anyone want to add anything to the goal list? I have an all natural slideshow below for you. We will return to the style adjectives tomorrow.
By Pamela Lutrell